If you haven’t already watched Sarah Trimmer’s Ted Talk Start and End Happy I’d recommend it. When Sarah received a devastating cancer diagnosis she decided she would begin and end every day by completing the same five sentences. She believed this would raise her own level of happiness and increase her mental strength. Here is how I finished Sarah’s sentences last night and below that is how I finished them this morning.
1) TODAY I AM GRATEFUL FOR my husband’s wisdom tooth surgery going well
2) TODAY I HELPED SOMEONE by listening to a lonely man tell me a long story about his problems in the hospital coffeeshop while I waited for my husband
3) SOMETHING THAT MADE ME HAPPY TODAY were the photos my son sent of our grandson sightseeing with him on Parliament Hill in Ottawa.
4) TODAY I LEARNED that my son’s music group Royal Canoe has just released a brilliant new video.
5) TOMORROW I WILL go to an elementary school to visit a math carnival organized by one of the amazing student teachers I mentor.
1) TODAY I AM GRATEFUL FOR my writer’s group which meets tonight. They have helped me so much with my writing and I owe them an enormous debt.
2) TODAY I WILL HELP SOMEONE BY giving money to a pre-school in Vietnam in memory of the brother of a good friend
3) SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE ME HAPPY TODAY is having lunch with my brother at a restaurant I’ve never been to before
4) TODAY I WANT TO LEARN more about Winnipeg’s only female mayor Susan Thompson by starting to read her autobiography which was a gift from a friend
5) TOMORROW I WILL give a tour at the Winnipeg Art Gallery to a group of grade five and six students