The little Newfoundland community of Heart’s Content changed the world forever! We visited the old cable station in Heart’s Content, now a museum that tells the story of how electronic communication between Europe and North America was first established in a tiny Newfoundland fishing village. In 1866 a huge ship called the Great Eastern left Valentia Ireland with 2730 nautical miles of cable in her hold.
In just fourteen days the Great Eastern and its crew laid that cable at the bottom of the ocean and reached Heart’s Content in Newfoundland establishing the first permanent telegraphic communication across the Atlantic.
Subsequently five more cables were laid and the station in Heart’s Content kept them all operational.
Those cables changed the world and the little fishing village of Heart’s Content forever providing trans Atlantic communication and a vital link between the continents, something that impacted commerce, trade, finance, personal life, culture and was especially important militarily during the two World Wars.