After the movie Birdman was over I asked my husband Dave what he thought the movie was about. What was it trying to say? He said he knew exactly what it was about and what it was trying to say but……. he wasn’t telling me.
You’re doing this because you’re scared to death, like the rest of us, that you don’t matter. And you know what? You’re right. You don’t. It’s not important. You’re not important. Get used to it.
– line of dialogue from Birdman
Birdman is basically the story of an actor famous for playing a super hero who is putting his reputation and wealth on the line to stage and star in a Broadway play. Two of my Facebook friends and former teaching colleagues who are movie aficionados had vastly different opinions on the movie. One said he’d walked out after a few minutes because he felt it was a complete waste of his time and another said it was one of the year’s best movies.
I wanted to write one of my usual five things I’ll remember about the movie blog post but in this case I’m going to write a list of questions I have after seeing the movie, because mostly that’s what Birdman did for me. Made me ask questions.
1. What things in life truly bring joy? Is it possible for me to figure that out definitively,write a list and use it to prioritize what to do with my time?
2. Do actors become at least in part the characters they play? Do writers become at least in part the characters they write about?
3. Might it be worth it to sacrifice family life, at least in part, for professional success and/or fulfillment?
4. Who decides what is good/great literature or drama or film?
5. Should we care more about our opinion of ourselves or others’ opinions of us?
6. What is love in the end? What is the purest form of love?
7. Are human beings important in the whole history of this planet? Do we matter?
8. Is death truly the best option for some people? Are there times in people’s lives where there is simply no other way out?
9. If you want a relationship to last and be healthy for you, should you be able to write a list of good reasons to love someone?
Other posts about movies……